Saturday, October 23, 2010

Eye Candy


Ok. I didn't really make these this week.

2 weeks ago I was in San Antonio TX for a Project Citizen conference. LOVED the city and am ready to go back to the Riverwalk anytime! (Yes. I've already lost the 5 lbs. I gained)
Came home from TX last Monday and I had carpal tunnel surgery on Thursday. I really haven't been doing much except reading numerous books on my new Kindle. (Kindle came while I was away...Parker read 2 books on it before I even saw it)

But. I did make these wonderful scones several weeks ago. I was watching a cooking show (think it was Public TV) and tried the recipe/technique. Absolutely wonderful. I've made them twice and will definitely put them on my 'frequent' list. Here's my tweeked recipe.
Blueberry Scones
8 Tbsp. unsalted COLD butter + 2 Tbsp.
1-1/2 c. FRESH blueberries (about 7-1/2 oz.)
1/2 c. whole milk
1/2 c. sour cream
2 c. unbleached flour (10 oz. if you weigh/measure your flour) + additional for work surface
1/2 c. sugar + 1 Tbsp. for sprinkling
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
Adjust oven rack to middle position.
Preheat to 425
Grate butter, using largest holes on box grater. Place grated butter in freezer until needed.
Melt 2 Tbsp. remaining butter and set aside.
Place blueberries in freezer until needed. (do NOT freeze blueberries until this point or they'll get too watery/juicy)
Whisk together milk & sour cream in medium bowl; refrigerate until needed.
Whisk flour, 1/2 c. sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt & zest in medium bowl.
Add frozen butter to four mixture and toss with fingers until thoroughly coated.
Add milk mixture to flour mixture; fold with spatula until just combinded.
With rubber spatula, transfer dough to liberally floured work surface. Dust surface of dough with flour. With floured hands, knead dough 6-8 times, until it just holds together in ragged ball, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.
Roll dough into approximate 12-inch square
Fold dough into thirds, using bench scraper or metal spatula to release dough if it sticks to work surface. Lift short ends of dough and fold into thirds again to form approximate 4-inch square. (this is essentially the technique you'd use for puff pastry)
Transfer dough to plate lightly dusted with flour and chill in freezer for 5 minutes.
Transfer dough to floured work surface and roll into 12-inch square again.
Sprinkle blueberries evenly over surface of dough, the PRESS down so they are sligyhtly embedded in dough.
Using scraper, loosen dough from work surface. ROLL dough, pressing to form a tight log.
Lay seam-side down and press log into 12 by 4-inch rectangle.
Using sharp, floured knife, cut rectangle crosswise into 4 equal rectangles.
Cut each rectangle diagonally to form 2 triangles (OR cut again to form 4 smaller triangles); transfer onto baking stone (or parchment lined baking sheet).
Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining Tbps. sugar.
Bake until tops and bottoms are golden brown, 18-25 minutes.
Transfer to wire rack and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Frosting:
I just used a simple butter frosting and drizzled it over the top.
I know it looks like a long, complicated recipe. Believe me... it's not. Worth the little effort it takes for the absolutely yummy taste.
Hope you enjoy!!
...now it's time to quit typing and give my wrist a break.

No comments: