Saturday, January 20, 2018

New Bedding...

I had a LOT of fun this week!  The little dude is being transitioned into a toddler bed...and OUT of his (much loved) crib.

Since the 'big boy' room is going to be music themed, with a guitar and record albums on the wall (and there's a piano in their living room), I went with music fabric.  All fabrics were purchased from fabric.com.  The piano/guitar fabric was almost like a panel, and I 'fussy cut' to make it work.

 I had the entire quilt finished and was working on hand stitching the binding when I thought to send photos to my one sister.  I just couldn't come up with how to quilt around the piano keys and guitars. I think I just looked at it toooooo long, I couldn't see it.
 Low and behold...she came up with a brilliant idea!!  I stitched around the sets of black piano keys, then did a little zig-zag around the sections of the guitars.  I did this machine quilting after the quilt was completely done.  Perfect...
 I did a serpentine stitch on the straight areas (you can see in the photo) and did just a simple X and outline stitch around the rectangles in the center of the quilt.
 The fitted bottom sheet is the fabric with the cream background.  I'd never made a crib sheet before...oh what fun!!  The top sheet is out of the white background fabric and I put elastic on the bottom corners...and the piano/guitar fabric on the top edge.  You can see I used both panels for the pillow case, which was done 'burrito style' (the only way I'll make them anymore!)  Since his toddler bed takes a crib mattress, I photographed the above on the crib I have at my house.
Here's the little guy playing piano with his cars!!  He actually got a sneak peak of the quilt when we kidnapped him from the sitter mid-week.

Here's Grant after we delivered it.  He immediately put his head on the pillow and did a little fake sleep.  His dad got out a guitar and he had so much fun!!  Wonder if he'll actually give up his much loved crib to sleep in his 'big boy' bed!!

Now to patiently await the arrival of Baby#2 in mid-April...and find out if its another boy...or a little princess.


No comments: